Tuesday, February 20, 2007

How big is Tokyo?

Tomorrow, I have to do a business trip. For this, I had to look up my way. Wow, this was tricky!

It is still hard for me to grasp how big Tokyo really is... Have a look at this image:


The upper map is a map of Tokyo's trains (full-size map is here). The lower map is the subway map (full image: here).

For easier understanding, I have added 2 pieces of information to the map:
1) The black circles in both images refer to the Yamanote line. A full loop takes about 1 hour. Interesting fact:"An estimated 3.5 million passengers ride every day on Tokyo's Yamanote Line, with its 29 stations. For comparison, the New York City Subway carries 4.8 million passengers per day on 26 lines serving 468 stations." (not to mention that the NYC subway operates 24 hours, whereas the Yamanote line does not operate between 1:30 and 5:00)
2) However, the maps do not represent the sizes correctly. My daily commute is highlighted as a red line. It takes about 20 minutes.

It would be interesting to overlay this map over Munich (which I cannot do now, because I have to wake up for my business trip, soon :-) Any volunteers?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home