Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Party on Monday

Wow---my 4th posting for today :-)

On Monday I was at a really cool party. There were lots of guys there who work at Sony CSL, so I was able to get some nice contacts and have interesting discussions! There were also lots of beautiful girls (design students), but I was not in the mood for them. Still, it was a delightful view :-)

One of the coolest guys I know (Ivan) was DJing at the party. It's unbelievable, he is an outstanding researcher (see e.g. his book on 3D User Interfaces), still he is a really cool guy. I am not sure whether there are that many researchers who are also DJs, haha!

Later that evening I was quite drunk (like everyone at the party...). Then, I was talking with a guy, we found out that we are doing very similar research. He had a SIGGRAPH paper last year. I knew neither him, nor his research :-(

It's very funny... Let me illustrate this by an example: let's say two sportsman are talking to each other:

A: So what do you do?
B: I play tennis.
A: Wow---this is also my sports!
B: Great!
A: You know, last year, I was Wimbledon finalist. (That's what having a SIGGRAPH paper means for a researcher...)
B: Wow---maybe I should have known you.

I felt a little stupid, but I guess it was ok :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ivan, say hi to him for me? Wonder if he still remembers me? :)

I met this guy in an university I was visiting once. Only after I left, I realized that I read/cited his paper. Can't connect 2 and 2 immediately together sometimes.

4:50 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I will tell him!

I guess when the singularity becomes true, we do not have this kind of memory problems anymore!

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home