Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

Valentine's day in Japan is just lovely (for boys)! Because the girls are supposed to give chocolate to the guys they are interested in. Guys are not supposed to give the girls anything. That's too good to be true, isn't it? Today, some colleagues told me about the drawback: 1 month later (3/14), the guys are supposed to give something to the girls---it is called "White day" in Japan. Maybe payback-day would be more appropriate, haha.

Unfortunately, I do not have time to enjoy this Valentine's day too much. I am just too busy :-(
The weekend I worked on a bookchapter, which will be printed soon. Also today I had to work a little on it ...

Yesterday, me and about 15 colleagues attended a seminar on intercultural communication. Wow, this was very interesting! I have learned many new things. Mainly about Japan, USA and Germany, but also about other Asian countries. I should have taken this seminar before I went to the US. It would have saved me quite some trouble... The most interesting thing was what I have learned about myself. We had to do several tests to find out about our character. The result was: in some things, I seem to be a typical German (Socratic way of discussing, Low-context(=direct) communication style, appreciating friendship with colleagues). In some other things (contextual thinking, polychromatic time&relationship&responsibilty perception), my character is not German at all (in fact, just the opposite!)---much like a Japanese person. This was so interesting to learn!
Now I know why I am so fascinated by Japan :-)

Just 10 minutes ago, I have finished my Japanese homework. My teacher asked me to write a funny story. I have attached it at the end of this posting. No---I will not translate it. It is too silly. My vocabulary is just sooo limited. It reminds me of the stories in my first English school book: Gosh-the cage fell on the floor and cheeky (the dog) is under the cage and pips (the bird) flew out of the cage.

クリスの囲碁

クリスは囲碁がすきです。日本の囲碁センタへいきます。
クリスはすこし日本語がわかります。でもまだじょうすじゃありません。

囲碁センタできれいなあんあのことコーヒーをのみました。あんあのこは英語あまりじゃありません。
クリスはあんあのこのはなしがぜんぜんわかりませんでした。

クリスはとてもかなしです。あとで、かなじょははなしました「フランスへ三年いきました。」それから、フランスごでたくさんはなしました。クリスのせいかつはたのしです!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go of crith

As for the crith we like go. The Japanese go center fence it comes.
As for the crith filter Japanese which is done is recognized. So still the thin be it is.

At go center clean it is it increased only that thing coffee. The bean jam that densely there is no English remainder.
As for the crith that this releasing of the bean jam was not recognized at all.

Kana it does the crith very and is. Afterwards, you released the kana , "three years it went to France. "Then, France with the large quantity you released. The crith it places and stern it is it is the present!

4:02 AM  
Blogger chris said...

These would yield better results:
http://www.polarcloud.com/node/43
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

:-)

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Your Japanese is really getting better. I think these sentences are difficult to translate for computers ( because those sentences include some minor mistakes ;-)), but I can understand your story.

Anyway, you're doing なんぱ at GO center... I thought GO center is a serious place for playng GO ;-p

5:33 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Hi Takashi!!
Thanks for the appreciation of my silly story :)
I hope you and your family are doing fine!

Let me know when you are in Tokyo.
We should go drinking like we used to do in New York ;-)

Dewamatane,
Chris

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home