Monday, November 20, 2006

Coding

Recently, I am doing more and more programming. Getting results fast can be very enjoyable. Today, I want to report about my recent coding adventures.


Scheme
Currently, I am learning a new language: Scheme. It is over 30 years old and basically a weird Lisp dialect!

I am sure you think: Why the heck does anyone on earth want to learn such a language??? Let alone somebody doing "leading-edge research"??? Shouldn't he rather be learning some cool new web-framework like Ruby on Rails???

Good question.

First of all, I decided to follow my own recommendations (see my posting on enlightenment). I have already had my first enlightenment today: Blaine, you'd better stop trying to patent DP. DP and Scheme are isomorphic.

Second, learning one language at a time (Japanese) is boring ;-)

More importantly, I have realized that knowing Scheme is incredibly powerful. So many applications can be scripted by Scheme. For example, GIMP. Recently, I had to edit many pictures. My task was: cut a 640x480 rectangle starting at the bottom left corner of a larger image. The naive approach was to use the mouse for that. However, like this, this is totally painful .... Writing a 1-line Scheme script to do this was enjoyable in the end (although, it took me 30 minutes to figure this line out, haha).

Finally: I love rapid prototyping (time is money!). It seems to me that the highest expressiveness per lines of code can be achieved in functional programming languages (proof omitted, hehe).

bazar
As I have blogged recently, I am playing with Bazar. After finding and reporting a couple of bugs to the developers, we finally got it running:


A virtual teapot is augmented on a playing card. (mind the irony: the card is called Maessigkeit).
The lighting conditions in my room are reflected correctly on the teapot!

openGL
A couple of small experiments


The famous teapot. The greyscale represents the values of the depth buffer. This must be how a bat sees the world.
Or maybe not?


Stress test for my new laptop: rendering a 160MB model (33 million vertices) at 1440x900 at 100FPS :-)


3D Kanjis (tribute to 風の人, see earlier post).

Relax

As I was told in Jamaica many times: "you gotta relax man". To follow this advice, I am going to a famous Onsen in Izu's mountains (The next weekend will be 4 days for me :-) Gosh, I haven't been to a high-class Onsen for almost 1 year now :-( Some pictures

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicht schlecht, nach Basic und C hab' ich mich auch an Scheme versucht :)

(string #\c #\u #\, #\U #\S)

6:34 AM  
Blogger chris said...

:-)
irgendwie erinnert mich scheme total an prof. paul, haha
:-)

Ich werde hoffentlich bald mal einen film von meinen 3d-scheme-animationen posten. dauert aber wohl noch....

ich benutze gerade guile, da ist das string handling einfacher als bei dir ;-)

(3Dtext "c" "u" "," "vi" "master")

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home